Top 10 Books in 2015

It's that time of the year again - year end lists! I'll be posting my films lists in January, but for now, here's my book list. This year I got to read an incredible selection of books varying genres. Not all of them were gems, but there were clear standouts to the roster. It was hard to narrow the selection to only the top 10, but these are the books that stood out and would recommend to read. These aren't ranked in order.

Honorable mentions: Re Jane by Patricia Park, Every Thing Every Thing by Nicola Yoon, PS I Still Love You by Jenny Han, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan, Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling, How to be a Heroine: Or What I Learned from Reading Too Much by Samantha Ellis

The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano

Related Reading: Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland, Not Simple by Natsume Ono

This is probably the most depressing book I have read. It is about two people who have found each other in the worst of times. In a way, they were the only ones who understood each other. Both characters are so vile and unlikable, but Giordano's writing makes it such that you still root for them to be happy. It's a beautiful but devastating read.


The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand

Related reading: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven, Dear Zoe by Philip Beard

I'm definitely starting this list on a sad note, as this one deals with a loss of a loved one. This is told in the perspective of Lex, who lost her brother to suicide and is trying to cope and to come to terms with it. The author narrates the story in full circle, allowing the reader to understand where she is coming from.


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Related reading: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

I have never been more excited for a new book as I am with Red Queen. It's a thrilling read. It's about a girl who is a Red (commoner) but possesses powers, similar to the Silvers (upper class). When the Silvers find out, she was taken in by the royal family, given a new story and identity in hopes of preventing a rebellion. The world building is amazing, and this would make a good movie (if directed and casted perfectly).


Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Related Reading: This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki, Anya’s Ghost by Vera Brasgol

I loved both the film and the graphic novel, both done by Marjane Satrapi. It tells her story - her background, her struggle to find her identity, and the difficulties she had to endure when her country was in a brink of regime change.



The Scapegoat by Sophia Nikolaidou

This is based on the disappearance and death of a journalist, George Polk. The book contains a lot of political strife, and transcends through past and present, relating the characters involved. I was surprised that I enjoyed reading this. It's short and precise, not to mention interesting. I usually don't read politically-fused novels, but this one was great.





Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari

If you've watched Master of None I suggest picking up Ansari's book about the woes of modern dating. He does his research well, scrutinizing angles of the dating world and its differences in other countries and age groups. He goes through the subject in an approachable manner, making this an entertaining and informative read.





The Martian by Andy Weir

The Martian is an excellent read. Mark Watney, one of the astronauts in a mission, finds himself stranded in Mars. The book chronicles his struggle for survival, as well as the mission to rescue him. It's really funny, and there were intense parts where he struggles to survive, bringing in a sense of adventure. 






Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

Nimona is a graphic novel about a shapeshifting girl who applies to become a sidekick to a villain. The novel divulges a lot of backstory between Nimona and her boss. The graphics are amazing, and the entire novel is action-packed that it feels like you're watching an animated film unfold on page.






The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabriella Zevin

This book was recommended to me due to my love of books and novel about books. This is about the life of a bookshop owner, whose perspective changes when a child was left in his store. There are other characters involved beyond the bookshop owner and the child, and it's not what I expected. The novel was quite heartwarming. 






Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

It's rare when protagonists are depicted as anything other than the usual YA tropes. In Made You Up, the protagonist deals with being a schizophrenic while trying to live her life as normal as possible. I don't read a lot of books like this so this is new to me, but it's good. Since it's written in the first person POV, it reads like how she thinks. There were some elements (plot-wise) that I didn't expect. It also reminded me of A Beautiful Mind, which is a great film to watch.



So those are my top 10 books read this year! Have you read any of them? What were your favorite books this year?

*The related readings mentioned are selections that I've read throughout the year.

10 comments:

  1. I've read two of these and both ended up on my Top 10 list as well, so yay! I wanted to pick up Aziz Ansari's book this year as well, but I guess I will put it into my TBR pile for 2016.

    I like that you love Red Queen because I have gotten mixed feedback from my favorite bloggers/vloggers. For what it's worth, I love it to pits and pieces, which is why I read it twice this year.

    The Last Time We Say Goodbye also sounds something I'd like to read but it just feels too sad and I'm afraid of sad books a bit.. I mean, I get super emotional at sad parts EVEN if I don't like the damn book.. I'm such an emotional wreck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the vloggers I follow don't like Red Queen as well, but I did enjoy reading it and I'm looking forward for the sequels. I hope you enjoy reading Aziz Ansari's book!

      Delete
  2. Haven't been keeping up with contemporary fiction, so most of the authors you mention I'm unfamiliar with. I too enjoyed reading Persepolis and liked how the story was told with humor. The film was ok, although I did feel the pacing was somewhat rushed. My favorite book of 2015 was Hunger by Knut Hamsun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with the book you mentioned, I will have to check that one out. Persepolis was a great read and the film was enjoyable but I agree with you that it was rushed.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these, but I love that you did this because there are a few here I've been debating picking up...and now I know that I should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some of these are great books! I'm definitely going to read The Martian this year - loved the movie. Good luck to your reading goals in 2016 (if you have some)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the book! There's a lot more in the novel compared to the movie.

      Delete
  5. You've read Modern Romance too! That book was super interesting and the texts where hilarious.

    ReplyDelete